RADICALLY RETHINKING SKIN

Actives in skincare: What they are and why your skin needs them!

You’re probably familiar with the term ‘active ingredients’ or ‘activity’ in skincare, especially if you’ve been following us for a while.

At Biologi, we’re all about the activity!

Due to our unique extraction system, Biologi is the world-first plant-based skincare serum that’s 100% active, so you’ll often hear us waxing lyrical about the power of our natural actives.

But what does this all mean?

If ‘active ingredients’ have become a part of your vocab, but you’re not sure why, here’s everything you need to know about actives in skincare.

 

What are active ingredients?

Actives are natural ingredients that have been scientifically proven to change the structure of your skin at a cellular level.

They’re the ingredients that work to repair, rejuvenate, hydrate, protect and nourish cells.

Inactive ingredients, on the other hand, are synthetic ingredients used to formulate the product.

Emulsifiers to create texture in moisturiser, fragrances to make your product smell nice and water to make it stretch further are all inactive ingredients which provide no natural benefit to your skin.

While synthetic inactive ingredients can make a product smooth to apply, smell nice, and look good in a pretty bottle, the real value for money lies in the natural benefits to the skin – and that’s in the activity.

 

Why do we need actives?

People with more mature skin need these potent ingredients to maintain plump and youthful looking skin. Teens need them to control blockages caused by excess sebum that can lead to acne. Anyone exposed to the dehydrating effects of sun exposure needs active ingredients to avoid developing sun-induced skin conditions that could lead to skin cancers and pigmentation.

In short, we can all benefit from active skincare.

 

Activity percentage

Check your labels carefully.

If your product claims to be natural, it will have a percentage ‘activity’ written on the label. Most retail skincare products sit at approximately 2% activity and here’s where we need to ask, what is the other 98% doing?

If a moisturiser or lotion contains 2% active ingredients, the other 98% of ingredients are there purely to provide a filler and a pleasant smell when you open the jar.

Is just 2% activity that’s diluted with 98% synthetics going to have any impact on your skin?

Probably not, not naturally anyway.

 

Why should we strive for a higher concentration of active ingredients?

Because active ingredients are more effective when they’re pure!

Remember that actives change the skin at a cellular level so the less synthetic ingredients that dilute or manipulate the actives in any way, the better for your skin and your wallet!

 

Biologi’s active ingredients

All Biologi serums are jam-packed full of natural actives including the following:

Vitamin C

Found in: Bf and Bk serum

How it changes skin on a cellular level:

  • Reduces fine lines and wrinkles
  • Increases suppleness of the skin
  • Reduces visibility of sunspots
  • Hydrates skin cells
  • Strengthens skin cells to reduce the visibility of dark circles

Gallic acid

Found in: Bd and Bk serum

How it changes skin on a cellular level:

  • Reduces fine lines and wrinkles
  • Strengthens skin to reduce the visibility of dark circles
  • Brightens skin to improve tone
  • Reduces inflammation to clear up red patches
  • Helps skin repair faster from cuts to avoid scarring
  • Helps skin recover from overexposure to sun
  • Build up a protective barrier to minimise damage from free radicals found in the environment

Ellagic acid

Found in: Bk serum

How it changes skin on a cellular level:

  • Helps repair sunburnt skin
  • Reduces sun spots
  • Brightens skin to improve tone
  • Reduces fine lines and wrinkles

Tartaric acid

Found in: Bd serum

How it changes skin on a cellular level

  • Strengthens barrier function
  • Helps prevent skin irritation
  • Reduces redness caused by breakouts and acne
  • Helps clear blocked pores to reduce the chance of breakouts
  • Strengthens skin to reduce the visibility of dark circles

Anthocyanin

Found in: Bd serum

How it changes skin on a cellular level

  • Reduces the onset of fine lines and wrinkles
  • Helps restore skin cells damaged by pollution and overexposure to the sun
  • Helps repair connective tissue damage that leads to stretch marks
  • Gives skin a luminous glow

Quercetin

Found in: Bd serum

How it changes skin on a cellular level

  • Strengthens barrier function to protect from environmental damage
  • Reduces redness caused by inflammation and irritation
  • Helps skin repair form overexposure to the sun

Tryptophan

Found in: Bf serum

How it changes skin on a cellular level

  • Strengthens barrier function to protect from environmental damage
  • Builds protein hydrolysate moisture to hydrate skin
  • Reverses UV damage in the skin

Ferulic acid

Found in: Bf serum

How it changes skin on a cellular level

  • Free radical scavenging activity helps protect skin from harmful environmental factors
  • Helps retain moisture within the cutaneous layers of the skin to hydrate
  • Prevents skin alterations such as sun spots, age spots and blemishes

Byangelicin

Found in Bf serum:

How it changes skin on a cellular level

  • Anti-glycation activity reverses the appearance of dimples and cellulite
  • Stops the build-up of skin that causes dryness and flaking
  • Reverses the signs of ageing such as fine lines and wrinkles

‘Natural’ doesn’t always mean ‘active’

Vitamin C is an excellent example of an active that is notoriously unstable once extracted from its source, so synthetic stabilisers and activating agents are often added to transfer the natural activity into your products.

What this means is that natural is often a misleading term with many products having little to no natural activity whatsoever.

Biologi utilises extraction technology that replicates the cellular matrix of a plant, so our active ingredients don’t require synthetic stabilisers or activating ingredients for them to work on your skin just as they do in the plant.

Because we don’t add activating agents, stabilisers, emulsifiers or even water or fragrance to our product, we don’t dilute the potent plant-power of your serums, and all our products remain 100% active.

Click here to shop Biologi today.

 

 

No Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *