SAVE YOUR SKIN THIS SUMMER, THE BIOLOGI WAY!
The clocks are just about to tick over to daylight savings time. The sunny days are getting longer. And we can well and truly confirm that summer is officially on its way!
Lazy days at the beach.
Salty ocean swims.
And long days filled with harmful UV rays are upon us.
As skin turns golden making you feel confident, healthy and happy in the process, you don’t need us to remind you that the energising vitamin D penetrating your skin, does come with a downside.
Sun – much as we love to bask in all its warm and fuzzy glory – is not your skin’s friend.
After only a few minutes in the sun, the harsh UV rays are already getting to work damaging the deeper layers of your skin contributing to the following problems:
- Accelerating the signs of ageing
- Damaging elastin causing sagging and wrinkles
- Thinning skin making it more susceptible to bruises
- Increasing pigmentation
- Increasing the risk of skin cancer
Damage caused by overexposure to ultraviolet light contributes to up to 80% of all ageing.
Not only that, sunburn – accidental or not – is also the number one tell-tale sign of damage to the DNA in your skin cells caused by UV radiation. Damage which can lead to pre-cancerous cells, cancerous cells, pigmentation, skin lesions and pigmentation,
Much as we love the feel of the stuff – we all have every reason to get out of the sun and stay covered up during the hotter months.
But, because staying inside while everyone is at the beach soaking up the rays might not be your first choice, here’s how you can enjoy everything the sun has to offer AND help your skin recover in the process.
Read on for Biologi’s top tips to save your skin this summer!
Every day, without question. Apply the highest factor sunscreen available to your face and all over your body.
You may not be out sunbaking all day, but in the warmer months, you’re still exposed to the sun’s harmful rays by merely going outside. Get into the habit of applying sunscreen before you leave the house. If you’re at the beach or by the pool all day, remember that the factor you’ve chosen is how long you can stay in the sun past burning point. So, if you usually burn after 10 minutes, remember to re-apply factor 15 150 minutes later.
And while you’re there, if you hop in the water during that time, that also warrants another application as soon as you’ve dried off.
Because we’re super passionate about sunscreen – makeup and moisturisers containing SPF aren’t enough protection for your face during summer. Always apply SPF sunscreen under makeup to offer maximum protection throughout the day.
The sun dries out cells causing them to die and shed. Regular exfoliation will keep the cells from gathering to form dry patches which leads to peeling.
Use a gentle exfoliator regularly but if you’ve burnt, remember that exfoliating can be too harsh for delicate cells so wait a day or two for the sting to dissipate before using a scrub. Better yet, be kinder to your skin and avoid nasty ingredients found in some manufactured exfoliators and make your own scrub from organic brown sugar and coconut oil.
Fake it ‘til you make it!
We get it; you want to have a healthy summer-time glow at this time of year!
Well, why not go fake?
Long gone are the days of streaky, orange-esque tans. If you choose the right product or professional, fake tan can look more natural than the real thing.
Sunglasses are a must-have accessory, but they also do another job of protecting your eyes from harmful UV rays. Not only that, they stop you from squinting – too much of which can cause wrinkles around the eyes and across the forehead.
Have cold showers
Hot showers sap cells of their natural oils causing dry skin. Keep your post-beach shower as cold as possible to retain moisture in the cells naturally.
Drink lots of water
There’s no substitute for replacing a loss of hydration with H20 – and lots of it. Always have a water bottle with you not only to avoid sunstroke but also to restore moisture in the cells from the inside.
Use Bf serum all over the body
At the end of every day, apply Bf serum all over your body.
As well as giving your skin a welcoming all-over hydrating experience after a day in the sun, Bf serum is an absolute powerhouse of 100% active sun-fighting phytonutrients
- Reduces skin ageing
- Reduces visibility of sunspots
- Increases hydration
- Antioxidant protection against free radicals found in the sun
- Reduces skin redness and help skin recover from overexposure to the sun.
Tryptophan (alpha amino acid)
- Helps protect the skin from sun damage
- Helps the skin feel smooth
- Can reverse UV damage caused by sun
Ferulic acid (hydroxycinnamic acid)
- Hydrates skin
- Helps protect against damaging environmental factors
- Protects the skin from sunspots, age spots and skin blemishes.
Use Bd serum on your face every day
Before applying sunscreen in the morning, apply Bd serum all over your face to take advantage of the following active phytonutrients:
Gallic acid (phenolic acid)
- Reduces visibility of sunspots
- Reduces coloured pigmentation
- Reduces DNA damage to slow the signs of ageing
- Reduces skin redness
- Aids recovery from overexposure to the sun
- Antioxidant protection against damaging free radicals found in the environment, particularly the sun.
Tartaric acid (fruit acid)
- Strengthens skin
- Reduces redness and the visibility of sunspots
- Creates a barrier against environmental damage
- Helps restore damaged skin cells from overexposure to sun
- Potent anti-ageing active
- Aids cutaneous metabolism to prevent sun spots, skin blemishes and early ageing.
- Reduces skin redness
- Helps lower inflammation to help skin recover from overexposure to the sun
- Potent anti-oxidant to protect from free radicals found in the environment
There are no two ways about it, sun and your skin are never going to get along, but by taking extra care and adding a hydrating, anti-ageing potent anti-oxidant into your skincare routine, you can minimise the damage long into the future.
Click here to shop Biologi and save your skin this summer.